It’s an alluring thing these days to think about being an entrepreneur. Depending on what you’ve liked and commented on via Facebook you may have seen the THOUSANDS of ads popping up in the news feed about how this person or that person made buku bucks with Facebook Ads or online courses or webinars or whatever.
Much of that stuff is true and you could probably do it too.
But as a Christian, you need to FIRST ensure that you are in a healthy place spiritually and that you know that you are DESIGNED BY GOD to actually BE an entrepreneur.
If you’re not and you jump in anyway – you could find yourself in a world of hurt.
This episode is about that… what it takes to be an entrepreneur who is passionate for Christ at the same time they are pursuing business success.
As an entrepreneur, you have got to have a bent to FIO.
I never thought about it in exactly this way until I began recording this episode of the podcast but you can’t be an entrepreneur if you’re unable to FIO.
Yep, I said FIO. (Pronounced “Fee-Oh”)
What? You don’t know what “FIO” means? Well… that’s just proof you need to listen to this episode of the podcast, don’t you? 🙂
FIO is the first of a number of skills I describe on this episode that you WILL possess if you have what it takes to become an entrepreneur. And I cover each of those skills from the perspective of what it means to passionately follow Christ at the same time.
This is good stuff, I hope you won’t miss it.
To be an entrepreneur who honors Christ, you’ve got to quit looking back longingly.
The bulk of this podcast episode is me waxing eloquent (from my experience as an entrepreneur) about what it takes to be successful AS an entrepreneur who follows Christ.
One of the skills you need to have is the ability to not look back nostalgically at the past once you’ve put your hand to the plow to make a different life for yourself.
Jesus talked about that, remember?
Yet another said, “I will follow you, Lord, but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, “No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.” ~ Luke 9:61-62
Before you start railing on me for applying that verse out of context, let me say this in my defense – I KNOW this verse is about following Christ, not becoming an entrepreneur. But I also need to say that JUST LIKE it requires a “no looking back” attitude to follow Christ, it ALSO requires that kind of attitude to become a successful Christ-honoring entrepreneur.
So there. Just listen to hear my full extrapolation, exegesis, and textual interpretation. 😉
If you want to assess whether you have what it takes to be a Christ-honoring entrepreneur…
I think the most important thing I say on this episode is this: Be cautious about learning business savvy over learning to walk closely with Christ.
And don’t just nod your head knowingly in agreement as you read that.
Stop and think seriously about your bent toward doing what’s “fun” and “exciting” instead of what’s best. How do I know you have that bent? Because I do. We ALL do.
It’s easy – TOO easy to be drawn to the latest business book in the morning when you were intending to get into the scriptures and draw close to Jesus. Nothing against the latest business book necessarily. But we’ve got to be SMART about these things.
And we start by knowing ourselves. So… I’ve typed enough. This episode tells you all this and more, so I hope you take the time to listen.
Summary of This Episode About: What it takes to be an entrepreneur.
- [0:41] My vision of the Live Build Change philosophy.
- [1:55] Eyes wide open: What does it take to be a faith-filled entrepreneur?
- [4:44] Do you have a “Can Do” mindset? Are you able to FIO?
- [9:18] Can you prayerfully set goals and commit to moving them forward?
- [14:46] You’ve got to have the ability to never look back in regret.
- [19:02] Be willing to do what it takes to reach your goal.
- [21:27] Can you pivot? Can you remain flexible?
- [23:58] Are you OK with making mistakes? If you aren’t you won’t grow.
- [26:27] Always be growing – the attitude it takes to be a successful entrepreneur.
- [30:02] Are you eager to love people through a business?
- [34:10] What does it look like for a Christian entrepreneur to have an attitude of faith?
- www.LiveBuildChange.com/18 – Getting your spouse on board
- www.CareyGreen.com – my coaching for business and life
- BOOK: Love Works by Joel Manby
- Get my book, “Entrepreneur Mind Hacks” for the cost of your email address.
Join the LBC Community On Facebook
Follow Carey on Facebook
Follow Carey on Twitter (@CareyNGreen)