You hear all the time that you need to follow your dreams, that you need to find your dream job.
But I think that’s one of the WORST pieces of advice for most people to follow.
That’s because I don’t think there IS such a thing as a dream job for the majority of us. Now hear me carefully – that doesn’t mean I think we’re all just average schmucks who exist to serve the will of others.
No way. What it means is that I think you and I may be designed for something a bit broader, something more far-reaching than what is possible if we are narrowly focused on one specific niche or calling.
Curious what I mean? This episode about following your dreams – or not – is for you![tweetthis remove_hidden_hashtags=”true”]#FollowYourDreams is the WORST advice for most people. Here’s why[/tweetthis]
Outline of This Episode: Are You Meant To Follow Your Dreams? Maybe.
- [0:15] Thanks for listening, what you can hear on this episode of the podcast.
- [1:33] What is your DREAM job? Is there really such a thing?
- [4:10] What would you do even if you weren’t paid for it?
- [8:50] Maybe your dream job is not as specific as you feel it should be (like me). Is that OK?
- [12:25] Will you run out of steam if you don’t follow your passion?
- [15:30] Why your dream job simply may not exist – and what you should do instead of chasing it.
- Following your dreams is not a bad thing – but what if you don’t have THOSE kind of dreams.
We all experience the temptation to view the way things should be through the lens of what we experience. Said another way, we think the way we see things is the way things are.
So the people you hear championing the idea of following your dreams are the people who God has given specific dreams. And the fact that THEY have specific dreams makes them think that everyone has specific dreams/calling/vision for their lives.
But it’s simply not true.
What do you do if you don’t HAVE a specific dream for your life?
I think that’s a much more practical question to answer than “What IS the dream I should follow?” And it’s an easier question to answer because GOD has given all of us certain marching orders that we are to follow – no matter if we have a specific calling or not.
On this episode of Live – Build – Change I’m going to tell you how I think you should think about this “follow your dreams” stuff in light of the likelihood that most people simply don’t HAVE a specific dream they are meant to follow.[tweetthis remove_hidden_hashtags=”true”]What should you do if you can’t find a specific #dream or #calling for your life?[/tweetthis]
- www.ChristianHomeandFamily.com – my marriage and family website
- www.PodcastFastTrack.com – my podcast production and show notes company
- Wycliffe Bible Translators
- www.Dare2Share.org – Greg Stier’s dream 🙂
Join the LBC Community On Facebook
Follow Carey on Facebook
Follow Carey on Twitter (@CareyNGreen)